Continuing our list of 88 questions, grouped into 20 . . . all to nudge us to evaluate our delivery as we preach:
6. What do your feet do while you preach? Do you pace? Do you rock forward and back? Is your natural stance, well, natural?
7. And what about your hands, do they fit with your communication? Do gestures fit naturally or look forced? Does time go from left to right or right to left? Which way do you point when you talk about creation, or Christ’s return? Do your hands do anything weird, repeatedly?
8. Does your facial expression reflect your heart? (And does your heart reflect Christ’s?) Do you look angry most of the time? Do you vary from whatever the default expression is?
9. Do you pause at appropriate moments for sufficient length? Are your pauses ruined by verbal filler? Do your pauses give people space to breathe, or do you generate nervousness by your apparent anxiety?
10. Is your pace appropriately varied and is the average about right? Do you go so fast that people can’t keep up, get breathless, or switch off? Do you slow down through transitions so that listeners can tell the message has shifted into a new phase? Do you generally go so slow people get frustrated listening and waiting for you to say something?
11. Does your volume make listening easy? Can your listeners hear you without effort on their part? Are you too quiet so that people get tired concentrating? Are you too loud so listeners feel defensive or annoyed by the power of your presentation?
12. Is the pitch of your voice easy to listen to, and do you vary it? Would anyone describe you as shrill? Does your voice sound natural and genuine? Do you sound robotically stuck, whatever the pitch?
13. Does your posture generate comfort, tension or nervousness? Do you come across as nervous and twitchy so that listeners feel the same? Is your posture stiff and awkward so they aren’t sure how to take what you say? Is your posture aggressive or over-confident so that they feel intimidated in some form? Would you be ok with a picture of your standard posture being shown around?
And tomorrow we will finish the list!