As we come to the end of a decade I am reflecting on ten years of ministry. What a privilege! In these last ten years I have been involved in launching, developing, leading, teaching and preaching. Along the way I have blogged a lot at times, and less at other times. One of several reasons for blogging less in the second half of this decade was the need to focus on writing several books.
So now as I look back on ten years of BiblicalPreaching.net … the decade began with a link to a radio interview that included me and Dr Erwin Lutzer (who I enjoyed meeting in 2018). Then the next posts looked at things that have been staples on this site: how to handle the text accurately, how the theology of a text carries into the message, analogies to illustrate what we are doing when we preach, etc.
Anyway, here are some quick highlights:
1. As we ponder preaching we can improve our preaching. For instance, here’s a reflection on how preaching became a solo sport.
3. This decade included the end of an era, as my teacher and friend Haddon Robinson was promoted to glory. Here was the post I wrote on hearing of his death.
4. Some posts have been really fun to write and launch into the ether. I think the most successful series, in terms of feedback and sharing, has been the 10 Pointers series I ran back in 2015/2016. Here is one on preaching touchy issues, with links to the earlier posts listed at the bottom.
5. Some posts were controversial. Probably the one that stands out the most was the one I wrote about Bible reading plans – both sides of the debate seemed to jump on that subject!
6. It is encouraging to hear how people have been helped even by the apparently “no response” posts. For example, I don’t think anyone commented on this post online, but lots of people did in person – it was a theological reflection on how Satan hates the Holy Spirit.
7. I am looking forward to another decade of blogging about preaching, about the life of the preacher, about the Bible we get to preach, and most of all, about the God we get to speak about.
Thanks for your participation in this site!